It is kind of interesting talking to women who have children. I am discovering more and more that almost everyone I come in contact with that has children, have children that has "issues". Now this can range from speech problems, developmental problems, sensory problems, physical problem, psychological problems, behavioral problems, the list goes on and on. Everyone has a therapist of one kind or another. Growing up, I didn't really know many people or kids that had any of these problems, but now it seems to be a normal occurrence that one or many of the children in families have these issues.
Some people are chalking it up to poor environmental conditions, pesticides, bad air quality etc... Some people say it is because more and more women are having children at an older age and therefore have a higher chance of having children with these problems.
Still others say that we are letting too many people survive with these problems and/or diseases and this is making our gene pool quite weak. (We are forcing people to spend more time in the "shallow end of the gene pool" to quote The Lion King)
Another contributing factor to some of these issues (mostly the behavioral one) is because parents aren't being parents. They are having everyone else raise their children.
I think it is a combination of all these factors. Is there much we can do about it? I don't know, I am not a scientist and I haven't done any research into this. All I know is what I am seeing. So many women I know have at least one child who has one or multiple problems. It seems like a sad, scary trend for children. Should we still be bringing these children into our families. Absolutely. I wouldn't trade the experiences and things I have learned having Jarek and Malik for anything in the world. It is nice to see and understand the big picture. I can be stressed and worried for a time, but I know that the struggles here on earth are but a short time. My kids are wonderful, and they will have wonderful lives and in the end it doesn't matter what physical limitations they have, because we know their spiritual potential!
2 comments:
My personal view is that a lot of the current prevalence of these problems, most especially the behavioral and emotional and psychological problems, are coming from parents and children not taking responsibility for themselves and their actions. I'm not trying to say that the problems aren't real and I'm not trying to say that a therapist could help assuage lots of them. But a lot of issues are being blamed on outside sources or on something in-born that can't be helped or changed by the individual choosing to change.
I find myself falling victim to this enticing way of explaining away my faults. Jacob and I are working on it. There are things about how I act and how I treat people that I have blamed on my parents for years. For a long time, I refused to take responsibility that not only could I change these aspects of myself that I didn't like. I just told myself that I couldn't help it, I was raised that way. But it's that attitude that is hurting a lot of people these days, that these problems can't be helped because that's just the way someone is. It makes me sad because people have so much potential if they stop being lazy and stop blaming weaknesses/problems on other people.
good blogs. both true. I see more and more emotional and physical problems in the schools, or at least, they are now recognized and being labeled as issues. 1 of the main 4 kids at Kathy Lombardo's daycare is already seeing a psych, mostly because of the way he is handling the divorce of his parents.. years ago, it wouldn't matter how a kid at 5 and 6 years of age 'handled' anything. and with Cari's blog, we all now know that how we were raised molds our personalities, but we also now know that we can still change our personalities if we are willing to. I am proud of you for taking responsibility. it must be wonderful to be able to be like Christ and look on us as the spirit that lives within a shell of these bodies and see it's divine potential!
Post a Comment