I'm not sure if everyone was able to watch this PBS special, but we did and we also taped it (in case anyone would want it - but it is also available online @ http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/).
I definitely liked the second night better than the first, but I would say that overall the series was positive for the Church. But as I watched it I knew that many members of the Church would not find it positive at all - and in fact many would feel quite uncomfortable and even angry. In fact, the program actually touched upon the reason why this would happen, though to a much larger extreme. I felt that this program was definitely marketed toward and was based upon the opinions of older generations. As I watched it I told Tevia I would be curious to see a program based more on GenX or GenY. Many of the things they mentioned might be true (or perhaps a better term would be "common") for things mentioned, but for the younger generations I don't think it is as big of a deal. A couple of examples would be excommunication and homosexuality. They had several examples of members who were shunned due to their excommunication or same-sex attraction. Though certainly this occurs today, I do think it is much more rare. I certainly don't shun any of the people I know in that situation. In fact, I would love them even more. Anybody who would shun someone in that situation does not listen to the current prophet who has made it quite clear on numerous occasions of the error to act in such a way. Indeed, it wouldn't be Christ-like either. And yes, we are Christians.
I also think that many members do suffer from paranoia or fear of history. Perhaps the Church has helped support this, but there is nothing wrong with questioning. There is nothing wrong with learning that a prophet of God is not perfect. They certainly were not in the Bible! The key to the Church is a testimony that is given by the Holy Ghost; not in evidence from Mayan culture or Brigham's thoughts on blacks. In fact, the program aired one of the great talks of Pres. Hinckley over the past few years where he emphatically states the one thing our religion hinges upon. Either the Book of Mormon is true and hence this religion is exactly what it asserts or it is false and the entire religion is a farce. It is so simple. As missionaries we pound this into our investigators and hopefully we have taken the time ourselves to find out the veracity of the book and the prophet Joseph. But if I know it is true (which I do!) knowing that Joseph Smith liked to dig for gold will not shake my testimony. In fact, nothing should. Of course, our testimonies will grow and shrink over our lifetime. But Mormons should not fear history or lack of scientific evidence, etc. On the program the one man put it perfect when he said it is merely a question of time. All religions are built upon unbelievable and miraculous happenings. The Exodus is respected (by many) because it happened thousands of years ago. Mormonism is so "new" and close that it is more difficult to believe due solely to that fact. Had Joseph lived in 1000 AD I don't think most critics or even members would think twice.
I do feel the program spent a little too much time on polygamy and the Mountain Meadow Massacre. Not sure why they needed an entire hour for those two topics. Some of the people on the show made me laugh. Sarah Gordon made me chuckle every time she came on with her crazy hair and way of speaking; though she also seemed very positive toward the Church. Most impressive to me was Terryl Givens (wrote "By the Hand of Mormon" - great read by the way - thanks to Jake for that) who throughout the whole show I thought was Mormon until I figured out who he was. Marlin Jensen did fantastic and actually got the most airtime, which I thought was generous of Helen Whitney who produced the show. I did think that unfortunately Elder Packer came off a little on the rough side (though he only had 20 seconds or so of time) with his response to his quote on gays and scholars.
Most impressive I thought was the ending. It was ended on a very positive note AND a very unique thought. The guy they quote (and I have forgotten who it was) mentioned that all religions were created to defy the inevitable death. He then states that no religion defies and flat out denies death more than the Mormons. I would agree. We truly are unique in our belief of a plan of salvation and an infinite existence. More so than any religion I know of I would also agree we have overcome the fear of death and actually embraced it as almost a reward. It was a great point I had never thought of before.
I'd love to hear your thoughts. As mentioned, I don't think many others will feel as positive about it (though the Church itself did in their press release here).
I thought it was a great tool to talk about the Church with others. For some good blogs, check out this site in the Washington Post.
3 comments:
I am sure Bret isn't as interested in hearing my POV since we have already discussed this in depth with each other. He has put my thoughts into words very well. I will just add that the few people (members) that I have talked to about this were very negative towards the program. My initial thoughts after the program were along the lines of wanting those who knew I was a member to ask me about my beliefs. What a fantastic opening to questions about the church our friends and acquaintances now have.
I truly believe that if I have received a witness from the Holy Ghost testifying to my heart that this is the truth, and I am continually feeding my testimony, then nothing like this will shake my faith, rather this can give me a greater understanding of how others may perceive my beliefs and convictions.
didn't shake my faith, nor my sister's. Fred watched it, and had many questions. me, I know that I have felt the spirit, lots and lots of times. I know that I have seen miracles, and felt closer to God being a member of this church. I know some of these things they brought out were controversial, but like Bret said, that is okay. Joseph Smith was a man, and was not perfect. it is ok to question things, and I question things all the time. I thought that them saying that there was no proof of the book of mormon historically was odd. they were standing right in front of old temples. :)
Meh, any PR usally works in favor of the church so it dosen't matter much. I didn't watch most of the show, but I did go and read every source of the show to get the real accounts of these people. I gotta admit, it would be hard to present a well balanced view of the church. There are only four catagories in my opinion.
-Its true and I am for it
-Its true, but its too hard for me
-Its false and I hate it
-Its a nice religion
Personally the last one is the strangest to me, I think a person must be ignorant to be in that catagory(which isn't a sin in most cases)
So, yes the author of "By the Hand of Mormon" does confuse me. How do you get that involved in our church and still take such a casual angle of our doctrine?
If you read the entire interviews containing the slightly negative comments used in the show, almost all of them were in the ignorant catagory which is a pleasent change to the more common love or hate documentary. But I don't know if that makes for a better view of the church or not.
I still sometimes feel we take fitting in a little too far to be comfortable with the "We are Christians" outlook. I have to admit, that even if we are going to far, its nice to be respected as a people. (I live in Provo, what do I know!)
Post a Comment