Saturday, May 19, 2007
fight in the street
Dad, Ann Rawlings, and I were driving home from a trek meeting in Newburgh and were in the village of Wappingers on 9d. It was about 9:15 and dark. she notices some people crouching over in a side street as we drove by. as she tried to look closer, she observed one of the guys was punching something on the ground in the middle of the street. it took her a moment to realize it was a person. she calmly told us that she thought she saw someone punching someone in the street. dad turned around as quickly as he could. he turned on his brites as we approached the side street. dad and Ann saw someone running away. Ann saw one large man, dad thinks he saw 2 men. it all happened so fast. I was busy looking in my purse for my cell, and I called 911. the guy in the street slowly got up to his knees. dad got out of the car. the guy's face was all bloody. he then tried to stand. he was wobbly. the police came quickly, ( I thought so, dad thinks they took a while). the corner of the street was a bar. the owner came out and the hurt guy went in, along with dad. Ann and I stayed in the car and locked the doors. they knew the guy that had gotten hurt, and he was drunk. they think he knew at least one of the men that beat him up. then he passed out. an ambulnce came. the cops came out and took Ann's statement, phone number, and license number. they told her they would call her for a more formal statement. she really didn't see all that much. it was kind of strange to see it happening in the middle of the street. the guy was lucky that no cars had come up right then, as he was laying down and totally dark. dad said the guy's face was pretty bad. sad world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am glad you guys stopped. I don't know if you saw on the news about the kid that was beating up an old man in order to car jack him, and there were people just standing by not doing anything. It was caught on some video, surveillance I think, but the tragedy was that nobody even stopped to help this old man. I know we see more of the bad than of the good on T.V. due to the media. It is just good to know there are still good citizens out there doing what is right. What a good example you guys are of not just standing by hoping that somebody else will "take care of it".
did you see the older lady that was alone in a church when a guy came up to her to attack her and she fought him off with her pen, jabbing him in the neck? cool, courageous lady!
Post a Comment