Tuesday morning I went into work after two wonderful weeks of vacation in NY. I still want to blog about that trip. It was fantastic. I had an email on my blackberry from my boss saying to see him first thing in the morning. I was hoping that it had something to do with the new job I had kinda created for myself as I had asked him to work on it while I was out. He said he had some bad news and some good news. Optimistic as I am I thought, "oh great, no luck on the new role!" But the bad news was one of my good friends in the Hong Kong office was leaving Prudential. The good news was that they wanted me to go over and take her spot - at least for a short period of time.
I was almost shocked. For years I have desired an expat assignment and have asked for them and to be honest was close to leaving Prudential due to the fact that I just didn't see a possibility of getting one. I am an international person who went to arguably the best international school in the world. I had started at a company with great international opportunities and in the short time frame of a few months this year my role had actually diminished in the international field as I was asked to help with the US domestic business. Now all of the sudden it was being given to me.
It is amazing when something you have wanted so long, or dreamed about for so long, really happens. It is almost like when something terrible happens: you can't believe it is really happening. All week my mind has been distracted. Work has been tough as I think about what might be in store. I signed my letter stating that my assignment won't be more than 183 days (due to tax reasons), but I know in speaking to my new boss in Hong Kong that his idea is for us to stay longer, if possible. Prudential has provided me great benefits while I am there including allowing my wife and children to come with me.
I am so excited. Hong Kong, from everyone I have spoken to who has lived there, is an awesome place to live. Most people speak a little English, which is helpful. I am hoping to be able to learn some more Mandarin (even though Cantonese is the main Chinese spoken in HK). I am excited to be there with my family and experience a new life for some time. There is a temple there and they even have English-speaking wards. I am hoping we will also get to see other parts of Asia that I have always wanted to see like Japan and Thailand.
Who knows what will happen in the next year or so. If it truly turns into a longer term assignment we may not be seeing too much of the states for a while. We'll be back for Christmas, even our Mexico trip in August. It feels almost like Christmas. It is even hard for me to sleep. I am theoretically going over on July 30 on my own and then will return at the end of August to go to Mexico with the family and then bring them back with me after Labor Day.
I am so excited. I can't wait.
1 comment:
this is just so exciting! what a great experience! it will be wonderful for your whole family.
Post a Comment