Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Time

I'm sitting here in class and just thinking about time. I think as it (time) goes on I find how more and more valuable it really is. As a child, teen, and even young adult, I never thought much about it... it came, it went... Oh blah di blah da! However, as I am finding more and more time has so much greater value. I'm pretty sure the days last as long, I think there are the same number of hours in a day as there always have been... right? (perhaps in my younger college years there were some days that would bleed late - very late - into the night... but for the most part each day was 24 hours long). Jacob, you are still an exception to the rule of hours in a day... averaging about 3 hours of sleep a week... you're just not human.

But my point(s) is(are) this:

I have less time (I think) because I own less time. My days are all but planned out for me from sun up to, well, beyond sundown. I get up at (or around) 7 and go to work. I'm at work all day. After work I rush to class where I live until 8:30 (some nights extend my stay a bit longer). From school I go home and the few hours from the time I leave class until I choose to go to sleep are all I own. They're all the hours I have to dictate what I do. Unfortunately they are not my without constraint... strings seem to be attached to most every facet of my life these days... I have homework... and LOTS of it. I'm not trying to complain. I know most of you can pretty closely relate to such a schedule in your own life.

I wonder... How is it that the technological advances of our day - designed to save us time or streamline duties, etc - tend to have an opposite effect?

Where are all the hours going?

Does it ever get "easier"?

3 comments:

teviawall said...

ahhh time. this week time is dragging for me. When you have nothing to fill your hours each day, it just keeps going on and on. I woke up this morning and thought, is it really only wednesday? I didn't realize how being so scheduled makes time fly faster. But it also makes you use your time more wisely. Since being here I have accomplished little to nothing but getting crabby at my kids and felling sorry for myself that Jarek and Malik are so inhumanly SLOW!!! That is a problem for me here with a bazillion stairs to climb if we want to go to the play area, or the beach, or the store....I know I sound complaining, so maybe this is my complaining day.

time, use it wisely because you can't save it or get it back.

KarenM said...

isn't there an elevator? :)
yes, it does get easier! I promise!
even with work and callings, we still have more time to call our own than you do. when all my kids were kids, some days I didn't even have time to shower or eat lunch, literally. I now can shower anytime I want! :)

Jacob Wall said...

Well, there is always plan B :-) Become a insomniac and do work when everyone else is asleep. This has very sevear consequences which may or may not be limited to hearing less sacrament talks, discorvering a new meal after dinner and or prefering to go on romanitc slurpy walks at 1am instead of watching the sunset.

Seriously though, I am in the midst of programming a major operating system which has direct relations between its scheduling priorities and those in real life. Myabe I should write a book about it after I am done with the semester. Becasue hey, if an operating system can do it, maybe we can!

Ermm, im gonna be quiet now and go back to coding where I should have stayed...