Saturday, October 13, 2007

Bugatti



There are so many fun parts of living in Hong Kong. Today we went to Mongkok market as a family and got to get some of the cheap stuff you hear about in China. It was a lot of fun. I could spend a whole day there looking at things and buying little things. But one of the fun things this week was when I woke up on Friday morning to go the bus stop. I had looked out the window from our room and saw two sports cars in covers sitting in the parking lot. I made it a point to go by them. At this point I am not too fascinated to see hot cars like Ferraris or Lamborghinis since I see them so often now. Also, I'm not a big car freak, so it's not like I see these cars and say "ooh, let me take a picture." So as I walked down the stairs and past the two cars I peaked to see what cars they were. I was expecting a Ferrari. When I saw the grill and it said "Bugatti" I was shocked. For the first time in my life I got giddy over a car. Well, actually, two cars since there were two. They were both Bugatti Veyrons. For those of you who don't know much about high end sports cars (which I really don't know much) these are the fastest and most expensive high end, street legal sports car you can buy. Each one costs USD $1.3 Million. Yes, MILLION. They have 1,001 HP. I was so excited I wanted to tell some of my friends back in the states. Instead I called Tevia and told her to go see them at some point during the day. She didn't.

On the way back from work I was walking up the stairs and a security guard stopped me and said to wait. "A car is coming" he said. I looked and can you believe it? Both cars drove down the lane a few feet in front of me over to some press release. I was so shocked I forgot my Blackberry has a camera. As I walked up to my apartment I once again felt this need to go back down and just look at the cars. From our apartment I could see them showcasing the cars to rich Hong Kong residents and taking pictures at the event. I talked Tevia into going down to get something from the coffee shop (not coffee!) and to glance at the cars. But they were far away and Tevia didn't want to take a picture. So after our yummy Coolatta-like drinks, we headed back up. Then I looked down and they were moving back to where they were parked in the morning. I grabbed the camera and ran down. There they both were, again just feet in front of me. The driver told me (with a very French accent) that they were there for a press opening as they are opening the Asian market here in Hong Kong. He looked at me and said not many people would ever be able to see two Bugattis at the same time in the same place. One was yellow and black and the other was black and gray. They really were gorgeous cars. I was able to take a few pics and have posted a couple here. I'm not sure why I was so "starstruck" by a couple of cars. I'm really not a big car guy. I guess it was more knowing that each car was a million bucks sitting there within my reach. Why anyone would pay so much for a car is beyond me, but I guess if you want the best, you pay for it. I thought it was an interesting feeling to feel, this boyish desire to be close and see them. I guess somewhere inside there still is that little boy inside of me. ;-)

1 comment:

KarenM said...

well, they do look kind of cool, I have to say. I had never heard of them, so you enlightened me once again. glad you took pics!