Well, today while we were at church one of the branch presidency counselors came up to us and asked if he could meet with us for a few minutes during priesthood/RS time. We said sure. I was late to the meeting because I was down in the mothers lounge chatting with the other mother that was feeding her baby (I was getting Enok to take a nap) and lost track of the time. Anyhoo, Bret was looking for me and then we headed up to the third floor to meet with brother Collins. (He and his wife are from Scotland and are so nice)
He started out somewhat nervously that the presidency wanted to talk to both of us together in order to extend a calling. My first thought was that one of us was going to get a big time- consuming calling since it is generally the practice to ask for the support of the other spouse before they actually extend the calling. He said that they had been trying to fill this calling and our names kept coming up, but they kept thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea because we had small children. But our names still kept coming up so they figured that they would chance asking us. Well this really got my brain going. Maybe they were going to be calling both of us to big callings.
So he was very nervous as he told us that there were a lot of good youth in the ward and that they needed a teacher for them. He then asked how we felt about team teaching the course 13 (12 and 13 year olds) sunday school class. I laughed inside and was very happy about it. Outwardly we both agreed that this would be absolutely wonderful for us to do. We told him that we had taught sunday school together before and that it shouldn't be a problem. He seemed genuinely relieved and was thrilled that we would take a calling like that. I was amazed that he felt like it might be a problem. Maybe Bret can expound upon these thoughts as he has more insight as to why bro. Collins would be so relieved that we would do this calling.
I think I could even pawn Enok off during sunday school because there are so many women here (as well as the youth) that love to take him from me. Even at the ward social I didn't see Enok much the whole time. All the young women kind of just passed him around. It was great.
Anyhow, we are excited for this calling and look forward to getting to know the youth here.
3 comments:
it is good to know that you will be able to use your talents there in Hong Kong. teaching the youth is my favorite thing to do!
It was funny. Of course, he is new at his calling so that could be why he was so nervous, too. I love his Scottish accent. The other part of church today that was awesome was the testimony meeting. We didn't have conference because we will be doing it next week. So this week was fast and testimony meeting and the testimonies were so great. I felt the spirit very strongly.
Might wanna get Bret to stop wearing colored shirts then have him dye his hair flaming red. That might do it tevs...
Post a Comment