Tonight we went to our ward's opening social, which was an ice cream social. Like most things in Hong Kong, it started late and ended late. I think we ended up getting home around 10 PM. It was an interesting social. I did get to meet quite a few people. But 20 minutes of the night we watched a slideshow of people in the ward set to music by Inside Out. But the ice cream was good and it was good to get to know some more people in our ward. One of the things we did was write letters to missionaries, so as I was saying hi to missionaries I don't know I heard the woman next to me saying something to her son in Spanish. I asked her where she was from in English and she told me she didn't really understand. So I asked her in Spanish and she is from Peru. She has been here like 8 years or so. It must be really tough for her not knowing English that well or Cantonese. Afterwards we took the double decker bus 260 back to our home. The boys and I sat in the front seat on the top deck to see all the brilliant lights in Central. We met a girl who has travelled most of her life and lived in Peru, Saudi Arabia, Khazikstan, the USA and now Hong Kong.
Today I had a talk with my boss about my role here. She had asked me to make an appointment after I sent her a note telling her the days I would be in the US for Christmas. I assumed it would be about my assignment here so I had spoken with Tevia and was prepared to be straightforward. She asked what my thoughts were and I was open and said that if for a long term plan they wanted me to go local that I was absolutely not interested. So we decided that we will keep this a short term assignment and will end in February - with perhaps a couple months tacked on if necessary (though I would probably have Tevia go back in February). So we will be back in the States in 2008 - which means more basketball, perhaps a desert trip, and more time with y'all back there. I am so happy for the time I have had (will have) here. It will be a great time in my life. Now we'll see what they have me do when I get back to Phoenix. :-)
In the interim we can't wait to have our parents come out. Mom, we'll work on your tickets this weekend.
Some random things about Hong Kong that I find interesting:
- McDonald's has a Shogun burger that is pork with teriyaki sauce on it. It rocks! Limited time!
- People tend to walk the way the streets are set up. Since the streets drive on the left here, people also tend to walk to the left. It is the opposite in the states.
- I think many of these sayings are true to the UK as well, but if you want food "to go" you say "take away." An "exit" is often "way out." A bathroom is a toilet. Water to drink is "still" water, which is "flat" water when I was in Europe. Otherwise they will bring you bubbly water.
2 comments:
I am kind of glad that this job didn't turn into a 2 or 3 year thing, personally, although that was selfish of me. I really wanted what was best for you and your family. At least now you know the timing better for planning school and things. remember, if it doesn't work out for us to come, that is okay. don't let it stress you out.
it is always good to know that they have ice-cream in far away places.
Yay for the desert trip!! =) and for my possible wedding... sooon. hehehe
Post a Comment