It is hard to believe it is December. The year has gone way too fast, and even worse, our time in Hong Kong has seemed to fly. It is crazy that Tevia and the boys already leave this week. Then two weeks later I will be back in AZ for Christmas. After that, who knows. It has been somewhat frustrating dealing with my company the past few weeks. As I work in the relocation industry, I am very much aware of the issues that arise with international assignments. The truth is, a large percentage of people leave their company within a year or less upon returning from an assignment. The reasons are varied, but the biggest reason is that while they are on assignment they tend to be given larger responsibilities and opportunities. Upon returning to the their home country they tend to go back to a job they may not even want and certainly have less responsibility. That seems to be exactly what is happening with me. Here in Hong Kong I have had much more responsibility than in Phoenix. Now that my time to return is approaching, the thoughts of where to put me begin to come up. It is amazing that companies are willing to spend so much money on an international assignment and then don't manage the repatriation. My coming here was a huge advantage to my company. I was able to bring stability and leadership in a time of major unrest and distrust. But while I was away there were many changes that took place in Phoenix. Opportunities that may have presented themselves for my future development in Phoenix have come and gone while I didn't even have a chance to apply for them. The company didn't know what to do with me as they had an idea that maybe I would stay in Asia. The reality is that I would love to have stayed here, but not as a local hire. With three kids that would be way too expensive. So when coming up with something for me to do when I get back to Phoenix my name comes up for many projects that need some leadership and experience. The problem is that these are not ideal career paths and may further disrupt my growth at my current company. And so, like many expats returning to their home, I feel unwanted, forgotten and uncared-for. It isn't true - I know that many people do care about me and do want to see me grow in the company. But so much of growth in a company comes from timing - and by being away for 6 months I have missed out on some of those opportunities.
That isn't to say I haven't had opportunities. This assignment in Hong Kong has given me great chances to learn new skills and things that I would never have learned in Phoenix. It will look awesome on my resume and truly be representative of a great growing opportunity. And it was something I wanted. I asked for this - and was fortunate to receive it. So isn't it ironic that after having received this great opportunity and my company investing so much in me that I now wonder about my future with them? As a relocation company this should have been handled so much better. I mean, I still don't know when I will be going back! I thought I did, but then all of the sudden some things came up relating to my next project in Phoenix where they are now asking that I go back sooner. I remain patient but it becomes ever more frustrating as I am unable to make plans for my return. And so now I may be working on an exciting project, but at the same time not taking of my best skills which is motivating and leading people. It is amazing how often this takes place.
So hopefully we will find out more this week. But I am not optimistic. And for the first time in my career with this company I feel like it might be time to move on. Once again, I find it ironic as I love this company and have enjoyed the people so much. But at the same time I need to look out for my career and make sure that I am doing what I like and being rewarded for what I can bring to a company. I would love to make that happen with my current company, but if not then I will make the jump. It has been a crazy ride lately. 6 months ago I had no idea I would be living in Hong Kong at this point. And certainly had no idea that in 9 months I would most likely be back in Phoenix doing something altogether different. Hopefully it will all work out.
I will miss much of Hong Kong. It really is a great place to live and work. I love my employees here and the work I am involved in. I enjoy many aspects of life here. I love the church here. The one thing I really miss is basketball and working out. I'm sure if we stayed here longer I would find ways to play basketball or develop habits of playing other sports, but for now I just seem to work and eat and that combination is not good for a waistline. In that respect I do look forward to Phoenix.
1 comment:
sorry hon, it is hard to be in that limbo part of transitions. It must be frustrating. I know it will all work out for the best, as do you, but I know it is hard in the meantime. I am sure you feel slighted, and definitely mis-managed. Companies seem to make some really strange decisions sometimes. stay positive!
Post a Comment