We drove up to Palmyra on Saturday to see the pageant. Upper State NY sure is beautiful! It was a nice ride, except at one point a severe storm came through and I overreacted and got scared, and poor Tom was driving. He had to pull over, it was raining so hard.
The hotel was recommended by someone in our ward, and it was a one star. It was called the Finger Lakes Inn, and from the picture and description on the website, it sounded great. It wasn't, but we just had to sleep there from midnight till morning, so we had a laugh about it and moved on. For example, the 'continental breakfast' consisted of those tiny, white powder sugar donuts and coffee, and they were out of plates. The doors had real keys, and most didn't really close. The A/C didn't work, and we never did even see the pool. :)
We did get lost on the way from the hotel to the pageant, my fault, and dad got mad, but by pageant he had already said he was sorry.
The sad thing about the pageant are the anti-mormon protesters. They had bull horns, and as all these nice families walked all the way through the parking lot, they would say things like, "All of you Mormons are going to hell", and "all your good works won't save you", etc. I felt sorry for all the little kids having to hear stuff like that. The one guy kept saying, " no one has found one sword from all the wars you said there were here in NY, so Joseph Smith has lied to you all."
Crazy.
The pageant was nice. It rained before and after, but not during. They do a beautiful job. There is fire and rain and fighting and it all looks really cool.
On the way home, every New Yorker must have been on vacation, because the roads were just bumper to bumper; RVs, campers, bikes, jeeps, boats, cars, everything that could be on the road was, so it took awhile to get home.
We went to the Cananduiga ward for sacrament meeting, and Kathy's bishop from BYU was listed as one of the missionary couples serving there! Small world, she was excited. Unfortunately, we couldn't find him.
It was a fun weekend, for the most part. The kids might have a different story....
3 comments:
I think I should help those reading this to understand the rain experience on the drive up. Seeing as how its quite a tale, and had me very angry with a select few for a while.
So I'm driving up on a cloudy day, and its slightly drizzling, or not even raining at all most of the time. I'm going 74 the whole time.
After I'd been driving an hour we started to hit a storm front. And I swear, even before the rain hit the car, mom was already screaming.
I quickly turned the windshield wipers on high and started decelerating slowly, the correct thing to do. And the rain proved heavy enough that I could not see unless I was a bit under 40mph. So I tried to drive at that speed for a while. Allowing for a space between me and the idiot in front of me who didn't have his lights on , which made him almost invisible. And of course mom noticed this, and begins to scream louder. At this point both Kathy and Dad have joined in the yelling contest that has erupted among my passengers in the car.
So for the sake of the yelping maniacs that I was driving, I decided that, like many of the drivers I would pull over, even though, at this point only the good drivers remained on the road, so, it was probably more safe than a sunny day :). And even as I'm pulling over now approaching my stop at 5 mph, with a parked car 40 feet in front of me, mom is still screaming for me to hit the breaks.
After the storm passed driving for the next 10-20 minutes still involved much passenger assistance to the driver... I just thought the story needed explanation and that people might like to try and get a picture of this happening in their head.
By the end of the night I decided just maybe, I might be willing to drive them somewhere again sometime in my life. Maybe.
But it was a pretty funny experience, though it still doesnt compare to the blizzard drive, that was accompanied with kathy rockets in the back, which I think was much more exciting.
Nothing compares to that drive going to Arizona but this was pretty bad. And the car was invisible in front of us because theyre lights were off and I guess I felt a need to shout because everyone else was and I didnt want to be left out. But we were going to die so good thing we pulled over. =)
Another classic driving tale. Sorry I missed it. I stil have never been to the pageant.
Post a Comment