Monday, August 18, 2008

The Olympics Rule

I'm not sure there is a great spectacle to watch on TV than the Olympics.
As a person who loves competition, sports and his country the Olympics
brings about the epitome of physical competition and love for your team
(country). I have always loved the Olympics for as far back as I can
remember - which really starts in the 1984 Olympics. And I have always
loved certain events more than others. I love gymnastics - women's
gymnastics. I don't think there is a more scarier sport to watch. One
small mistake can cost you a medal. When I watch gymnastics I feel like I
do in a suspenseful movie: with one hand covering my eyes. Too afraid to
watch yet too excited to look away. It is fantastic. But it is always
filled with heartbreak, too. The emotions can be so high and low. I
remember the man who fell a few years ago in his race and then had his
father walk him to the finish line (which Visa has reminded us so often
during this Olympics). I remember favorites of mine losing by small
margins. I cry with those that fail. And I cheer with those that win. I
will never forget the Olympics where Kerri Strug, as part of the
magnificent 7 in the 1996 Olympics, where she vaulted on a twisted ankle in
so much pain, but stuck the landing to win the Gold for the team. I cried
and yelled and cheered. I remember watching Carl Lewis and other great
American runners win the 100 meter dash so many times. I recall the Dream
Team in 1992 and watching the world bow in awe to the great American
ballers.

This year's Olympics have been even more special to me. I have a great
love for China. I know that many people continue to boycott the Olympics
and are upset that it is getting such attention due to China's human rights
record. But the people of China can not help that. They still love their
country and want to show off their grandiose history on the world stage.
From the amazing opening ceremonies it has been a beautiful display.
Perhaps not a real indication of what life in China really is, but a vision
of what it could be. And the games have been fascinating.

Night after night I have witnessed amazing competitions that have brought
tears: both of joy and pain. Michael Phelps is so amazing it defies words.
Watching the 4X100 relay when the US came back to beat France after it
looked like an impossibility was perhaps the greatest race of this century.
One Phelps then one his butterfly by 1/100 of a second after appearing to
have lost once again it was pandemonium. Seeing the US girls in gymnastics
stick it out for the silver after watching Alicia Sacramone fell twice.
And even now I can feel her pain and disappointment and wish I could just
give her a big hug. Watching the Americans take gold and silver in the
gymnastics all-around was great (though I would much rather have seen Shawn
win!). Watching Shawn Johnson have the best score on the floor exercise
until the final performer from Romania took the gold from her was
heartbreaking! Too see Mr. Lightning Bolt from Jamaica SHATTER the world
record to become the fastest man in history while looking like he was
strolling in park: amazing!

It has truly been an emotional and uplifting Olympics. I look forward to
this final week and hope that a few more of my favorites take gold. I've
become a huge fan of Misty Mays. I liked her last Olympics, but now I
think she is amazing. Kinda like Dara Torres. New heroes and heroines
have come forth and I hope our children are impacted by them. I think the
Olympics have come at a great time and has kindled some more nationalism
for the USA at a time that we need it. A few years ago Tevia and I had
decided to go to China during the Olympics. That plan got thrown off due
to our living in China: in fact, this time last year we were certain we
would be there since we'd be living in Hong Kong. In the end we missed it,
but I am determined to go to London in 2012.

On a different note Wii Fit has brought about a wonderful achievement for
me. Upon returning from HK Wii Fit clearly pointed out that I was above
normal in my weight and BMI. And though I found this shocking, I certainly
couldn't argue that I could use to lose a few pounds. Through motivation
of my Wii Fit trainer and weighing in, in just 2 months I now weigh less
than I have probably at any point in the last 5 years. My goal is to
continue to lose a few more pounds to get around my 'ideal' BMI (according
to Wii Fit) by Hawaii. This has felt wonderful and I feel younger, fitter,
and healthier.

3 comments:

KarenM said...

You looked in great shape! My MBI is slowly going down also, thanks to Wii.
I hope to hit my goal by Hawaii also.
We have enjoyed the Olympics a lot this year.

Webb said...

I LOVED the Olympics this year too! Millie's family are big fans too, so watching the games and having her family to discuss the wins, losses, excitement and heart breaks have been fun!

The loss of sleep to stay up and watch swimming and gymnastics was SO worth it! Watching Phelps in EVERY swim, whether for a medal or not, was so intense... not for if he'd win or not (sometimes) but by how much will he blow the world record out of the water! (literally).

I'm glad Nastia won!... but I have admit, I do wish Shawn would have won every gold in the individual competition. Her losses there were heart breaking!

Millie and I are thinking about going to the gymnastics tour the US team is putting on... they're coming to Utah. So we're way excited for that!

Bret said...

cool! you know what else was sweet? watching them in HD on our monstrous TV tevia bought. Way cool. Shawn is awesome!