Friday, August 15, 2008

ugly little fleas

yes, it is true. I had fleas. It was the most disgusting thing that has happened to me this year.
shiver....
I was doing the person I visit teach a favor. They were out of town for 2 weeks, and they have 5 or 6 cats. Now, she knows I hate cats, since I go there once a month. She also knows I am allergic.
She just tells me to wash my hands.
shiver again.
So, her mother was cat-sitting last week, until Sunday. Then some guy dad works with and car pools with who lives by them, (her husband is in dad's carpool), was supposed to check on them until Tuesday, when he was going out of town.
My job was to go over on Thursday, and make sure their water was not dumped over, and make sure they had food in their bowls. She said I could scoop their litter boxes if I was so inclined, but I was not.
I hate cats
They keep these cats in their basement. He built a cage in the corner.
I did not even have to open the door and go in. ( it is a full size walk-in fenced-in area).
I opened the garage door, went in the dark, stinky basement, and looked at the water dish. They sell these contraptions that keep allowing water to slowly pour out for a few days, thus allowing cat people to leave their cats unattended for a while.
It had water, there was food, and the smell was horrible.
I walked out, closed the garage door, and was on my way to the mall.
I felt something on my legs as I was driving... the van.
I looked down, and there were little black things all over my feet and ankles, crawling and jumping around!
scream. almost swear. shivers and crying.
I pull the van to a stop in a motel parking lot on rt 9, jump out of the car, and brush them off.
I call my visit teaching companion, who has cats, and tell her my problem. She tells me she will call the vet. She is worried about the cats! I am worried about my body, my van, and my house!
I go to Target, and get a spray for fleas on carpets. I ask the pharmacist what to do, as there are now tiny red bites up to about my calves on both legs. I am continually looking down, shaking, and brushing off my arms and legs... ech!
She tells me to go home and jump in my pool, clothes and all.
I rush home, mad at every car in my way, wake up both kids who are sleeping on each couch, ask them to get me a swimsuit, and open the downstairs patio door.
I change as close to the door as my modesty would allow me, and run and jump into our frigid waters. (It has been cool here every night). It felt cleansing.
I threw my clothes in the washer, because it was my new top, and I didn't want to jump in the pool with it and have the chlorine ruin it. (black with red flowers)
I then took a long, hot shower.
I think I got all the little buggers off me.
I immediately put a flea and tick treatment on Daisy just in case, and I then went out and sprayed the heck out of the van!
I still can feel them crawling up my legs as I was driving. It was so disgusting!
I will never own a cat.
I feel so sorry for them. They get home this weekend. My friend said that they obviously have an infestation. There is no way they just multiplied to that many since Sunday. We called them on their cell to tell them, and left a message, as they are driving back from Washington state. They have not called us back.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

ewewewewewewwwww! I am so sorry you had to go through that - that's just gross. One more reasons cats are awful. Kittens are kind of cute, then they grow up! Ugh. I think you handled that much better than I would have. I probably just would have pulled over and called Jacob and cried. I hope you got all the little bloodsuckers and that you don't have to be around those cats again. Eww. I'm glad I read this post in the morning instead of before I went to bed - I'm sure I would have had a fun time trying to get to sleep thinking about that!

Jacob Wall said...

Wow, sick, wow, sick... On the bright side there are no flees at Lake Powell!

Bret said...

Ah, memories. Yes, I also got fleas once in Brazil. From someone's house. It was gross, though I don't recall being able to see them. But I could feel them. I got rid of them by taking the hottest bath and shower of my life and literally burning and drowning them. It worked like a charm. I also obviously soaked my clothes and never had a problem again. Welcome to regular life.

teviawall said...

Yes, we have already used your sad story as comic relief in emails back and forth.

"At least we don't have fleas".

Thanks for blogging it and making your story part of wall history.

tom said...

she had to be using the van... which i had to drive today for the first time since this happened. i believe there was atleast one flea left. grr. why infest my car...