We can talk HP6 now. We have all seen it. I sent out a review which pretty much sums up my thoughts (though didn't send to Webbs since I didn't know if they had seen it yet - here is the link). To sum up my thoughts:
- Enjoyed the first 85% of the movie. I liked the scenery and acting was not bad, either. I was particularly touched by Hermione's acting - especially the scene when she ends up sending the birds at Ron.
- It seemed a little slow from time to time: too much snogging with Lavendar.
- Too much Draco, not enough Order of the Phoenix
- Loved the effects
- Not sure why they changed the ending! Why did the director think it better to have Harry cowering below as he watches his father-figure get killed! The book makes Harry out to be so much stronger - and he can't do anything because he is petrified! How is this better?
- They give away too much by including some of the conversation between Snape and Dumbledore before the trip to the cave. Why??
- Why did they leave out the funeral? And what's up with the rock-ballad lighter tribute, er, wand tribute?
- Where was the battle? Why did they take this out? How will they start book 7? Hogwarts hasn't been changed - no evil has taken place except for the death of Dumbledore. In the end they take a key and shocking piece in the book and leave me not caring in the movie.
- And what is up with Harry falling into the lake in the cave???? A great scene made cheesy by making it look like Gollum's sister came to kidnap Harry underwater.
- Um, and the love story between Harry and Ginny? No chemistry whatsoever - possibly worse than Padme and Anakin.
This is the second movie in a row (Transformers 2) that I am annoyed for the filmmakers making 2 huge mistakes: 1 - not developing the story enough that I really care and 2 - changing things enough to blatantly spit in the face of fans and prove it is "their" show. I am sure GI Joe will do the same (but I will still see it).
To be fair, I liked the movie and was moved at times. But as most of us know, there was much fan feedback last year in early screenings about the end - AND THEY STILL KEPT THAT ENDING! I'm not sure why they think this made a better ending. It could have been a great movie with the real ending. I got zero sense that evil was building except for seeing some flying pillars of smoke (Lost?) and hearing Bellatrix cackle now and again. I don't feel any of the characters are ever in danger. I don't feel there is any buildup to a great battle. All of Draco's sniveling to just get in 3 deatheaters and Fenrig? After a fantastic ending in the movie HP5, i feel they really messed up this one (the ending).
Remember, this book was FANTASTIC! It was amazing. It is one of the best of the series. There is so much in there. The movie missed so much of it. The horcrux theme is passed over too quickly. The battle is removed. And Harry is made to seem a coward - which he is not. He would not have stood and watched that happen, especially with Snape up there threatening Dumbledore.
End of rant.
3 comments:
As I previously mentioned, this was my favorite of the six movies; probably because it's been at least two years since I've read book six. I remember I finished reading book four for the first time in the theater waiting to see the fourth movie on opening night... THAT was the worst movie of them all. Why? Because I had just read the book. DUH!!! That's all. Of course the directors are going to screw up the book when making the movie (with the exception of Startdust from what Tevs had blogged about). It's a given. I still don't think the HP movies 3, 4 or 5 can even bare the name HP for how much they got changed from book to movie... but I think most of that stems from the relative proximity of time from reading the book to watching the movie for the first time.
As for the critics' complaints (and Bret's as well), pish posh - for the most part.
-- The final battle scene. Nothing was lost by not showing it. Thus far, the directors have proven in HP movies of the past that they can not produce a decent wizard fight scene even if they (the producers) had an endless supply of felix felices to drink while creating the scene. Apparently they have realized this and quite trying. Kudos to them for understanding their incompetencies and giving up.
-- Dumbledore's funeral. SO glad they didn't put that in. It would have been like having to watch the 7th or 8th ending to LOTR 3. I think the wand tribute was a good, quick, way to show how the school and teachers unite to dispel the evil that was left at the school (the light of their wands overpowered and dissipated the mark of the dark lord.) I think that, along with Fawks flying over at the end, was done well enough.
-- Agreed. Too much snogging with Lavender. Ron really hasn't aged well... but Hermione on the other hand - WOW!!! Better than Megan Fox!
-- I think the only thing they really messed up on with Draco was the duel between him and Harry in the bathroom and the sectumsempra curse. I'm sure J.Wall will comment on this as well so I'll keep this complaint short - could have been MUCH better - could have really shown the darkness that Harry stepped into by casting that spell.
-- As for the ending. Harry not being stunned by Dumbledor and hidden under the cloak before the arrival of Draco. I agree, this should NOT have been changed. However, it was... and IF the directors really thought it needed to be changed, they did it in a way that, if you never read the books and don't understand the Harry/Dumbledor relationship then it's ok. In fact, it almost could look like THE opportunity for Harry to show his loyalty to Dumbledor by doing what he promised he would do - with his own agency - rather than not acting because he was petrified. Cowardish to some, loyal and courageous to others. Regardless, I agree, they should have kept that part like the book.
Basically, Millie and I really liked the movie. The problem typically doesn't lie in the creators of the movie - but rather, in the fans reading the books too closely to seeing the movie and expecting it to be "that good."
My thoughts...
I thought the movie itself was excellent. Some of the effects were remarkable and if you were just one of the fans who doesn't care to read the books or just someone who just wanted to be entertained, it was awesome! But like all movies, the book kicks its trash. The ending of this movie was absolutely horrible.
It gives no character any virtue, justice, or admiration when ALMOST EVERYONE deserves it! The end of book 6 was amazing. It was emotional, exciting, and ridiculously intense. I disagree with Webb, I think they could have done a pretty good battle scene or at the very least they should have given the audience the impression of one. And when Dumbledore dies, Harry is paralyzed on the ground and he goes through this crazy horrible experience! and so does Malfoy! Where was that?!
Also greyback scares the heck out of me and although I liked who they picked to play him, they didn't do anything with him and he is a huge character! They also completely left out Crab and Goyle and there is a pretty cool scene with them in the last battle that I was actually waiting to see.
Another thing I wanted to see was Neville's parents in the hospital! But I guess you can never see it all!
However, like I said, I loved the movie and it was very fun to watch. I loved Hermione and how they showed her relationship with Harry. I love their friendship and I was glad they emphasized it in the movie. I also thought Harry was great and for some reason he kept reminding me of Tommy! I think they kinda look similar too. Anyways, lots more to say but I'll see you all soon so till then... lol
I, who have not read the book, and don't even know what the order of the phoenix is, or some of those characters Kathy and Webb mentioned, liked it.
I enjoyed it for its pure entertainment value. I found the other movies a bit more boring.
I am all for not including a big fight scene, as I feel there are far too many movies with fight scenes and blowing up stuff.
This said, maybe they tweeked it to appeal to my generation and to kids, because they also wanted to make it not pg13.
Too bad for the book lovers, that is true.
The book is always better, except for the Bourne series.
Post a Comment