Sunday, January 03, 2010

The end of a decade...

The last decade ended in a blur. With a second trip to Dubai followed by the visit of family, then Christmas, then San Diego, and then the New Year. All of it was wonderful.

In Dubai I got to go on a desert safari where I rode a camel, went jeeping in the endless sand dunes, and ate a typical middle eastern meal in the middle of the desert.

Jacob and Cari and Kathy and Jimmy visited soon after my long voyage home. Jacob and Cari were able to see our family sing and speak in church. We then spent many nights talking long into the early morning.

My parents soon arrived and then we celebrated a wonderful Christmas. I loved seeing everyone open their presents - and loved the green laser I got for Jimmy (hopefully he liked it, too). The Christmas meal was great with a Honey Baked Ham supplied by Jacob and Cari.

We set off the next day to San Diego where we had a fun and spacious condo that mom had organized to surprise grandpa on his 50th birthday. Though it wasn't too hot, the weather was nice, even nice enough for grandpa, Jacob and me to surf (with the aid of a wetsuit). Surfing was fantastic and I was gladly sore the next few days for having learned how to surf. I can easily see the pull of being a beach bum with a surf board.

We had some wonderful dinners and I enjoyed being with the family. The last night most of us went to the temple (while Jacob and Cari volunteered to watch the kids) and had a wonderful evening of spiritual enlightenment. I was happy to be a part of a family that wanted to make the temple a part of our trip.

Afterwards we separated ways again - looking forward to a day we can be together again. For me the time was a reminder of how important family is - and how it makes me want to be a better man. What a great time to get that reminder! Right during the new year. And so I look forward to this new year and decade with a mindset to improve myself as a person; to be a better man, a better husband, a better father, brother, and son. I dream of a day where we can spend much more time together as a family.

1 comment:

KarenM said...

I dream the same dream...
I love being together.
I made my goals, and they resemble last years, with a few extra. I keep adding more and more each year.
I have the usual, weight loss, exercise, take a class, sew more, read the Book of Mormon, (which I have now done 5 years in a row), read another church book, (I am going to read one about the temple), and for my personality one, I am going to try to be more meek. Dad suggested it. Evidently, I am not as meek as I used to be.
I also plan on grinding wheat and making pancakes and bread from it.
I also am starting up a writing group in RS, the one aunt Leslie suggested.
Oh yes, somewhere in there, I will organize my recipes, redo Tom's room, finish the basement, work 2 days a week, be a temple worker, a Stake YW president, and do genealogy.
And dad thinks I have nothing to do all day....
I am grateful for the kind of life I have, it is awesome!
We have decided to join Planet Fitness together. We will start tomorrow night. It is only 10. a month, with no yearly commitment.
I can't wait! I have never joined a gym before. I think it will be motivating for me for a few months.
How fun! Dad is not sure he will like it, but it is cheaper than buying a fancy treadmill, which most people tell us we won't use after a few months.
What are some of your goals and ideas for 2010?