Friday, August 13, 2010

Peculiar People

Usually when I travel on business I am by myself. This is fine because I am adventurous and have learned to adapt to being alone. In fact, I'm to a point that I enjoy it (while traveling on business). This trip, along with my last trip to Hong Kong) was made with others from the company. And as fun as they are to hang out with, the reality is that everyone else in the world likes to do two things after work and on the weekends: Drink and Eat. And by drink, I mean drink alcohol. This is something I am used to, but when traveling with other people you feel obliged to spend time with them. But after several nights of just wanting to go out and drink, it starts to get tiring.

I've realized that people really must think that those of us that don't drink alcohol are really weird. Most of these people know I don't drink, but they still always ask, "Really, you don't drink at all?" It is like it is an impossible thing. And then they can't believe that I can actually be having fun without drinking. It gets to a point where they say things like, "I wouldn't even be out here tonight if I wasn't drinking." This always makes me feel even better.

So when the average guy (and I can almost say this of most women now, too) sees someone like me who doesn't drink, doesn't go to strip clubs, and is faithful to my wife (and WAITED for my wife) they can't believe it is true. It just doesn't compute. They really do think I am peculiar. And though to this point this hasn't affected me on a professional level, at some point I think it might. When the company here in London wants to celebrate the implementation of our new system they go down to the bar and pay for all drinks. NOT ONE PERSON MISSES THIS. It is the true celebration. Free beer! You'd think they were giving out money. And from a certain point of view they are; because beer costs a lot and they'd be buying it anyhow, so now they get it for free! As I sit there sipping my lemonade as people get further and further from sobriety the night gets more and more boring. But I often think management looks at me and thinks that this is a weakness in me. I don't know that - it just seems like it from time to time. I am somehow detracting from morale by not drinking.

So when it is time for the weekend, some time alone seems like a good idea. It seems refreshing and calming. Tonight after work I walked a few miles down the road, over the river Thames and found a great Indian place to eat. I then grabbed a bus and came back to the hotel. Had I gone out with my coworkers we'd still be in the pub. I'm not saying I don't enjoy being with these people. I can still have fun. It just starts to get old for me.

I can say that I am SO tired of traveling. I look forward to Paris only because Tevia will be there for most of the trip. And I like being with her - especially in Paris.

No comments: