The most important thing that she had done for me in my life has been being an example of love, Mom has always been and still is someone who really loves and cares for those around her. I have memories throughout my entire life of her trying to help those around her, whether it was a fellow relief society sister, a young woman, her children, or anyone else in her life. Dad once told me this about mom: "Most people walk into a church meeting thinking, 'who do I want to sit by.' Your mother thinks, 'who needs me to sit next to them.'" I know that sounds like something small, but in my entire life, I have never really come across a more simple example of someone caring about others above themselves. My mother truly loves others.
Mom is an amazing cook. I loved every meal that she made me. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate cooking talent until you are exposed to cooking that maybe isn't quite the best... Holly and I have two children. When both of them were born several ward members were nice enough to bring us dinner for a few nights. I have to say, I am still very surprised by the low quality of some of those meals. I am spoiled when it comes to well-cooked meals. For the first 18 years of my life, it was my mom who did the spoiling, although, now it is Holly who does the spoiling. Holly's cooking never ceases to amaze me. I hold that she is the best cook in the family even though she would be mad at me for saying that. Mom's cooking is still some of the best I've ever had.
Mom is also incredibly smart. When I asked grandma what mom was like as a child, one of the first things she said was that she was always wanting to learn something new. As the youngest I was still home when mom started taking college classes from Dutchess Community College. I am impressed that she even wanted to go back to school, but I am especially impressed with how good she did in her classes. Mom didn't have the same opportunities that we (her children) did with education as a child, but she still excelled when it came to new school work. I am grateful for the brains she passed on to me.
Mom is a dedicated Latter Day Saint. From my observations, if you give mom a responsibility in the church, whether it be a calling or assignment, she simply magnifies it. The job will get done, and it will be done well. She has always been an example to me of true faith. I don't know about the rest of her kids, but I used more stories about my mother while teaching on m mission than I did of anyone else, and the competition wasn't even close. The most significant story I used was her story on tithing.
There are many more things that I could write about my mother, but I will just end by saying that I believe I had the best mother of all. She did so much for me and she still serves me today. I enjoy talking with her on the phone these days. My family receives a package with something nice from her almost daily. Well, maybe not daily, but its often enough to impress me. I look forward to seeing her here in Utah soon. Thanks mom for all that you've done and who you've been for me in my life.
4 comments:
Sheesh, Tom - what do you DO?
#AwkwardApology
You guys low on money again?
Jokes aside, we have a good mom.
"... the rest of her kids,"
Either this was written in a very different context than I am understanding, or Kathy, Bret and I just got thrown under the bus.
Thanks for posting this Tommy! I agree 100%. We were given the best of the best. Love you mama!
Ah, thank you so much! I surely needed that today. It feels so good to hear those things said. It made my whole day!
Post a Comment