Thursday, May 12, 2005

Ego Tripping

This week has been crazy. I apologize to Tevia for having to stay late and work on things, which is abnormal (luckilly). This week a few things that have happened that continue to show me in a good light in the company. We had a client come in this week (Tyco), and at the last minute I was asked to replace the director assigned to the client and present to them that day. I don't mind doing presentations, even sales ones, so I was able to pull off a great presentation with the five client visitors as well as some very high level Prudential people. I have been involved in many of these the past few months - including Bayer which we won their business and will be a well over million dollar client. Remember, I am not in sales. I received a lot of compliments from many people for my work with Tyco. Word also got around that I had replaced the other director and so many people in the department see me as the new superman - or the new Sofia (my old boss/mentor who was the greatest thing since sliced bread). The next day I was in a client presentation when the account executive on the account (which happens to be Prudential Financial - or own parent company) went on and on about how me and my team have changed our relationship with the client contact since it came to my team a year ago. At one point in the presentation the President of our company - Margery Marshall - just turned to me and started clapping - and everyone else stared at me and clapped. It was a strange feeling.

So I have felt very blessed this week to know that my company values me and that they feel I am good at what I do. Not that I haven't felt that before, but it is nice to receive recognition. I know that even a simple thank you can be heartfelt and make somebody's day. So I am trying not to get a big head - as I already suffer from enough cockiness - and keep doing my job. I love what I do. It has been busy, but I still don't work as much as many managers at my level.

On a separate note - the Wookie (my Jeep) started smelling like gasoline yesterday - very strongly. We let it sit and in the morning it still was very stong smelling, so I decided to take a better look. The Wookie then decided not to start! Crazy walking carpet! So I had him towed to the shop down the street (thanks AAA). They replaced the battery but found no leaks and smelled no gas. So I picked him up and wonder if he was just huffing yesterday or something. We'll see if he smells again. Tevia was ready to trade him in this morning. She must be like the Emperor - he hates Wookies - as you'll see in Episode III.

2 comments:

teviawall said...

I HOPE, that is the only way in which I resemble the Emperor!!!!! Unless of course you are referring to my exceptional skills at getting everyone around me to do my bidding, even if it does takes a little extra, shall we say, "persuasion"........
muuuaahaahaahaahaahaahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'll go feed my kids breakfast. :)

KarenM said...

sorry I haven't blogged for awhile. congrats are in order to you, Bret. you are doing so well at your company.