Friday, October 28, 2005

Big gulps huh?.... Welp....

It seems that a number of the posts I have left on this blog have been somewhat negative. I really hope I don't come across as a negative person, I've just used this space to vent frustrations that I don't want directed at anyone, and get words of encouragment from those I love at the same time. Yes, there have been a couple of things that were irritating me SO much these past couple of weeks... however, instead of venting here, I decided to use my own blog spot on myspace. So, now that my frustrations are out, I wanted to write about something happy... to me at least.

Yesterday was employee evaluation day here at Trophy Homes. It's an annual process which includes each employee filling out an evaluation sheet for themselves, then they review it with their supervisor in a private meeting. I have to admit, there are times at work where I feel I'm really not being productive, or at least not at the level of tenacity that I had when I started 2 years ago. I didn't rate myself below "meeting expectations" on anything, and above that there was "exceeds expectations" and "outstanding." Part of the reason I gave myself "meeting expectations" was becuase I truely feel that that was all I was giving, the other reason I did it was because I remember Bret's evaluation(s) (both the ones he gave an the ones he recieved for himself) and i just wanted to feel prepared for whatever "construcitve critisism" may come. Well... my supervisor is a great guy, and the evaluation went very well. He said he would rate me as outstanding and exceeds expectations on everything, and an overall outstanding. He also dismissed my feelings of underproductivity (if that's a word) as just being "settled into the company after two years." Then he also gave me a $0.50 raise. So, now I'm up to $11.50/hr which, although it's really not that much... it's really good for happy valley as a college student.

I've been really blessed working for this company. They have always been more than willing to work with my school, vacations, sick time, unexpected deaths, etc... I like everyone I've worked with over these past two years, and with the exception of this new jerk they hired to be over our sales department, I still think we have a great staff here.

It's raining here, and it's pretty cold. We have a soccer game tonight (outdoors) and unfortunately Jacob Wall can't make it... looks like I'll be in goal again! :) but that's okay... I hurt my knee playing basketball with our elder's quorum last night (we play every Thursday night) and so I'm not up to running today.

4 comments:

Bret said...

congratulations! Great job. It is always great to feel like you are a good employee. Felicitados on the raise, too. Keep up the great work. Did you hear Risa is going to start working here? This will be interesting. I've never worked with family before. I am happy for her. Hopefully she will perform as well as her little brother Jakie!

Webb said...

eh, don't count on it (Risa's performance)... I mean, I love her and everything... but she's no me... or Tevs... when it comes to our contributions to the work force.

KarenM said...

Hey, kudos to your good evaluation and raise! I haven't gotten a raise in years, and I work really hard. I better talk to my boss or go on strike.:) actually, I miss the job world sometimes, when you get people to actually appraise you and evaluate you. but Tev and I just talked about this subject this week. I still feel like I need to be home. how funny is that with kids 16 and 17? I can imagine just by how you helped around here on vacation that you would be and are a great worker. I miss seeing you.

teviawall said...

Hey Jake, good job on the evaluation and raise. It is always nice to hear that we are doing well. This can't be long since I should be getting ready for church. I'll call later today. Hooray for the time being put back to normal this weekend!!!!