Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Unimaginable

The unimaginable.

There are some things in life you never plan on having to go through, and quite frankly could never prepare yourself for. We all know life is an endless round of starts and ends and usually, if you search it out, where one door closes you can find another has opened. Is it possible to find an equilibrium in life between these ups and downs, are we even meant to?

There are few, if any, joys in life greater than the birth of a newborn baby. They come to earth so small, so innocent, so perfect. Each one is a precious gift from God. I have yet to experience this joy in my life personally so I am writing about something I know only second hand. From welcoming in younger siblings, cousins, and nephews to the most recent, the birth of Hayden Emilio Knudsen. Hayden is the first born child to my dear friend and former mission companion Tyson Knudsen and his dear wife Jenny.

I can't think of any other young lady who has been more excited or more ready to be a mommy.

It is futile to ask the question "Why," but on Monday morning, February 27th, at about 7 am, less than 72 hours after giving birth and meeting her baby for the first time in this life, Jenny passed away. Every possible thing was done to save her, but sometimes even all the advances of modern science can't compete with the will of God and a tiny blood clot.

One door closes, one door opens. A new birth, a passing on.

I simply sit here wondering how to comfort my friend.

After spending the day with him and his new little baby I realized all I can do is be there! How grateful I am that I was able to! It seems as though I have been in need of learning this important lesson lately... the lesson of gratitude. I really do have so much to be grateful for. I have a great job that pays well and comes with a number of benefits and perks. One of the greatest perks is the flexibility my supervisor gives me. Just the fact that I have been able to up and leave (or not go in at all) with very little (and sometimes no) notice. I also have family and friends who are always there to comfort me when I hurt for friends of mine they've never even met.

The thing that is truly unimaginable is how someone can doubt the existence of God, that He is our father, and that He knows and loves each of us personally. I am so grateful for all the people He has put in my life. For those that lift me up, and those that are there for me to lift up. It's no wonder one of the first things God asks of his children is to "morn with those that morn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort," because it is in those times that we are able to grow and become more like Him.

2 comments:

KarenM said...

Jacob, I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend. that is a shocking way to go in this day and age. you don't really hear about it happening much anymore. you are right - you are blessed, and, just being there helps him. you are such a wise and loving guy. you will be blessed for being willing to mourn with those who mourn. it is hard to do. God is there. He is watching, and sending people like you to help. you can not take away his pain right now. it will take time, and even then, it will hurt when he sees his son. for some reason, this is something he has to go through. just love him, feed him, hold him, let him cry, and do his dishes... I would love to have people like you around when I have a problem. what a true friend.

Bret said...

Very touching Jake. You are a great writer for tragic events. I'm not sure if there is a career in there, but you have had several great posts.

It is interesting as this experience reminds me a lot of the song "Ligntning Crashes" by Live. A neat song in itself, however this experience touches both aspects of the lyrics - about a new baby coming into the world and another mother taking leave. It has always been a touching song to me, but this event will bring even more meaning to me.

I will keep Tyson in my prayers. He is lucky to have a friend like you. Hopefully nothing like this will happen to me - or any of us - but if it does I am comforted to know that you will be there for me. Thanks for being such a good man Jacob.