I know it's true that personal revelation most readily comes when we are worthy and righteously seeking it. One thing I have tried to do during the last few general conferences is approach them with the intent to receive some personal guidance. This conference I forgot to right off and so I wasn't prepared to receive any during the Saturday sessions (I didn't have anything to record the promptings as they came so I'm pretty sure I missed a few). However, I repented and was ready to listen, and receive, during the Sunday sessions.
One major "revelation" or inspiration came to me not DURING the conference talks (not necessarily) but rather during the world report that comes on between sessions. The program covered what the church is doing in developing countries (mostly in South America) to better life. Or rather, to simply better the chances of life. Groups are being sent to countries (they touched mainly on the stories in Ecuador - which I have an exceptionally large soft spot for) to train hospitals to be better prepared for problematic births (mostly infant asphyxia). I know there are many programs and groups that the church sends out to help the people of the world. I feel it's what I want to do. As I mentioned in my comment to Kathy's blog, I didn't really receive any comments, direction, or much of any indication that I would have a wife or family in this life. Perhaps it's not my calling. I have always (well, I can't say "always" because Tevia knew me growing up) but for a long time, I have wanted to help others. I think it's something I learned from the example of my dad. Whatever it was... it's what I enjoy doing now, and feel I should do. After I finish my degree (actually starting now I'll start researching it) I will pursue service with the church in traveling and educating people in Mexico, Central, and South America.
I already have some Spanish training (from my mission) and I think I will take more during the remainder of my college education, and upon graduating, I will have a degree in Business Management, plus years of hands on training and experience in a number of different fields of work from various jobs I've head throughout my life. I know I will most likely never become wealthy, but the more I think about it, I will be DOING everything I would want to do if I were wealthy anyway!!! Traveling (and basically living) in areas of Mexico, Central, and South America and helping others... and since I don't (and apparently won't) have a family to provide for, it's perfect. :)
4 comments:
Well, it sounds like a good and fun goal for your life. I wouldn't discount the marriage thing out of your life for good though. But having a focus on something other than just wanting to get married could be very good for you. I know we have already talked about this somewhat so you know how I feel. I think that praying for direction in life and how our life is supposed to play out is very very important. Just because our patriarchal blessing may not give an indication of everything we are supposed to do, it doesn't mean that certain things won't happen.
Having a goal for the future is fantastic. It gives purpose and direction to our life, and often, when we are seeking to fulfill that purpose, the Lord shows forth his hand with other blessings, or trials, that we may never have before perceived. In other words, sometimes when we stop looking so hard for something, it ends up being found right under our noses.
It is good to hear your testimony and faith in God. I love conference, and felt the spirit many times during this session. I am so grateful for those little nudges of inspiration that come when we are seeking for them. Keep up the good work, keep up your faith, continue on with goals and you will have happiness in life.
M2S: I am all for going for what you want, especially in your situation. I truly believe if you would focus on what you want in life (besides a girl) that the other things you want will naturally follow. I think your plan is awesome: to serve the church in just such a capacity is what led me in my career decisions to go to Thunderbird and obtain a career which will keep me linked to other cultures and - hopefully - Brazil so that some day I can either live and serve there or eventually go on a mission there with my girl.
Follow your dreams. Your reality is what you make it.
I agree with Bret. stop looking for a girl and just be the best Jacob Webb you can be. then they will flock to you! anytime you can serve the Lord, it will be a wonderful thing, and you will get blessed.
so heres what i think. i think doing something like that would be such an incredible experience and something that would make you even cooler than you already are lol but you should also know that nothings wrong with you. i know my opinion probably doesnt count much cuz im just a crazy teenage girl but i think you are an amazing guy and someday that right girls gonna come along and shes going to be one lucky chick. it will happen, dont worry. thats just the way love is.
Post a Comment