Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dreams

Last night Millie's parents called Millie and I up and invited us to go see a movie, "The Astronaut Farmer." I was excited to spend a night out with Millie's parents because, well, I like em! Also, I think Millie and I really needed to get out of the house, and our alternate plans were to watch a movie at home (which wouldn't have been bad, but I did want to go out). However, I have to admit, I don't think I was all that excited about the movie they chose to go see. All the reviews I heard were not that great. I Hadn't heard anything about the plot really, just that it wasn't very good. But again, it meant a night out, so we went.

The story is about a Rancher (Billy Bob Thorton), named Farmer, whose dream was to go into outter space. He grew up in a podunk town in Texas, joined the armed forces, went into NASA, and dropped out before making it to space when his rancher father commited suicide back home. His dream was borderline insanity which could have cost him his family; however, in the end it's what kept them together. There were two lines that caught my attention. First, Farmer's wife said (in response to his request to haul off the broken peices of his failed attempt to fly), "Without that rocket, we're just another dysfunctional family." The other was a comment by Farmer's wife's father. He said, "You're a great father. I couldn't get my family to eat dinner together. But you, you have your family dreaming together."

I'm not sure the point I'm trying to get at, but I think it's something like this...

I think it's important we have dreams, we share them, and we work to achieve them. On the spiritual aspect of things, we all have the gospel in our lives with the common end goal (or dream) to be together forever. I do think that is a great thing to bind our families together. But I don't believe that is all there should be (not that that isn't enough - but there's a lot of time to fill between now and then). I look at our families and see that we're not too shabby with dreaming. We have school, careers, vacations, and other such plans in the mix that give us reason to talk, share, and give us hope for future outtings together.

There's more I want to get out on the subject, but it's late... perhaps I'll post more later... after some of you (if any of you) post comments to what is here now.

4 comments:

KarenM said...

you caught my attention with this one! I love dreams, and I have a zillion of them! they are what motivate me. I don't know the link between goals and dreams, but I have tons of both. I feel for the people who reach my age, or even your ages, and say, they don't have any dreams left, or that goals are stupid. I even have dreams for my kids, which I think most parents do. I used to dream about winning money and giving it to lots of people who need it. I now just help someone everyday, no matter the cost, like a card or letter or phone call or lunch. what are some of your dreams? are they too personal? one of my all time favorite things to look forward to; when I am old, I will live with my sister, in a small house by a creek, have a big dog, a garden, a front porch with a rocking chair, and I will bake cookies once a week for all the kids in the neighborhood. :) my other big dream that never seems to make it to the goal section is to write a book, not for the money or for the fame, but to document my life for my kids before I die. I had a great life!

Bret said...

Well, Tevia and I have an idea of a dream - or goal - we were thinking to share some time. We'd really love to go down to Mexico to the resort we were at with all of our family at the same time and spend a week there. It would take time to save up (around $3K per couple plus cost of kids...) but I think it would create so many memories. Now, I heard Millie's family is beating us to the punch, but we can still do it. Maybe 2010?

teviawall said...

Yes, we would indeed love to go down to Mexico with everyone and create some awesome mems!

I too have a dream of writing a book, but not about myself because I am not as interesting as a fictional story could be. (at least I don't think so, I've lived with myself my whole life so I am quite sure of this fact.) I will let my posterity learn about me through my journals. I am sure they will get a good laugh at all the boy drama from the teen years.

If we were talking about sleeping dreams, I could tell you some doozies! Even last night mine dreams were way crazy. I won't divulge as this is a family friendly blog. hee hee.

I wish Jake,Cari,Kathy,Dad,Tom and Millie posted more often. Bret, Mom, Webb and I seem to blab the most. Maybe we all think our opinions are the most AWESOME!! Well, I guess that would be more truth than speculation.... And I am pretty confident I won't be challenged on that one since we don't see any of the rest of you that often. Heehee

Webb said...

No, I wasn't talking about bedtime night dreams... but rather more of the kind that motivate us to action and life long achievment.

And, I don't know if I really have any such dreams at the moment and it kinda bothers me. I think the present has been so busy and pressing that I haven't made time for looking towards the future... Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the movie so much... I saw something that should be but isn't in my life.

But this still isn't what I've been wanting to get out...

Well, I'll write more later... I CAN'T WAIT TO BE IN AZ IN TWO WEEKS!!!