What do you do your last days in a country? Shop? Tour? Cry? I am the type of guy that likes to recreate memories. Last night I decided to go over Victoria Harbor on the Star Ferry and watch the lights on Hong Kong island. The night was fairly clear and not too hot. Since it was Friday it was crowded on the Kowloon side with many tourists and different languages being tossed about. I watched the beautiful skyline of Hong Kong island dance in the multicolored lights and lasers. On the ferry back I smelled the harbor, the fuel that powers the ferries, and enjoyed the slight breeze on my face. I then laid down on a bench and looked up at IFC tower for perhaps the last time. I have great memories of this place. And though the last few months have been marred by the fact that I have been alone for the most part, I am grateful to have had my family here.
Today there was temptation to go to Shenzhen. But the only reasons I could determine to go were to shop and fill my second slot on my China visa. I didn't NEED to buy anything, so decided not to go. Instead I headed over to Repulse Bay where we lived as a family and put my feet in the bay. I walked along the Seaside Promenade and remembered times with my family here. I came out on Deep Water Bay and grabbed the 6X bus to Causeway Bay. While there I bought a few little things with the small amount of cash I had left and had my last meal in the basement of Times Square in CitySuper. It was fun to remember the many times we ate there as a family and the kids love of Curry in a Hurry.
I am now packed up and ready to go. I will soon be on my next tiny adventure to London where I will spend a few days. At this point I wish that I had not made this trip to London, but it will be good to see our office and help me in my career if I decide to stay with Prudential. In the end it only delays seeing my family for five days. But at this point five days seem like an eternity. I look forward to seeing an old friend on Sunday. In fact, she was my first friend and mentor when I started my career at Prudential so many years ago. But most of all I look forward to getting that much closer to my wife and children.
2 comments:
Hong Kong will be a great memory in your lives. I am grateful I was able to see it. Thanks for giving us that opportunity.
ooops- that was not Kathy.
Post a Comment